The Alabama Legal Assistance Program offers seniors and their families legal counseling, advice and representation on issues such as income-based benefits, housing options, end-of-life decision-making, neglect, abuse and financial exploitation. The services are available through United Way’s Area Agency on Aging (UWAAA) at no charge to persons age 60 and older in Jefferson County.
By calling 1-800-AGE-LINE (1-800-243-5463), callers are connected to a legal services specialist who gathers information and determines the appropriate next steps in civil, non-fee-generating cases such as:
- Access to public benefits such as SS/SSI/SSDI, Medicare, Medicare, veterans’ benefits and unemployment compensation
- Protections related to elder abuse, including fraud and financial exploitation
- Advance directives for financial affairs, medical and end-of-life decision-making, as well as simple wills and issues related to guardianship
- Access to housing options that allow seniors to remain independent in their homes
- Eviction or foreclosure issues that impede seniors’ ability to remain in their homes
- Access to healthcare and long-term care
UWAAA is dedicated to protecting the autonomy, dignity and independence of our aging population, and making quality legal assistance easily available to vulnerable seniors is vital to that mission. To learn more about UWAAA’s Alabama Legal Assistance program, click here or call 1-800-AGE-LINE (1-800-243-5463).