Grandparents Day is Sunday, September 12th and a time to celebrate how special they are to us. Schedules are busier than ever these days, but this is a day you should not overlook.
Make time to honor your grandparents wonderful acts of kindness and love in your life. There are not any structured guidelines to adhere to, just find a way to reflect on the precious moments together and sharing what they mean to you. You will never regret it.
Carving out time to enjoy a trip to the lake or the beach together could be just what the doctor ordered. Although, if time or money is a concern, a simple conversation or writing a heartfelt note letting them know how much you care is very effective.
According to parents.com, these are several fun ways to celebrate Grandparents Day without breaking the wallet:
- Make a desert-This puts everyone in victory lane with their grandparents. Telling stories around the table over a big chocolate cake will always bring smiles to your grandparent's faces.
- Create an "I love You because list"-Everyone enjoys the special traits our grandparents possess. Have your grandchildren collect a list of those traits and share them on Grandparents Day.
- Create a scrapbook-This is a way to easily get the grandchildren involved, especially when they have a chance to dig out their old favorite photographs. When you create a photo album, it will create a lifetime conversation piece that everyone can enjoy over the holidays year after year.
- Customize a T-shirt-There are lots of ways to get this done, from buying paints from the local craft store or taking your favorite photo to the printer and have them emblazon it on the shirt. Use your creativity and have fun. Remember, if you are taking it to the printer, it may take several days.
- Serenade them with one of their favorite songs-Pull out some old songs that the grandparents may enjoy and learn the words and sing them to grandparents. You must recruit a friend to record this memorable moment to play on a future Grandparents Day.
There are a thousand words we could all use to describe our grandparents, but these words from an anonymous quote hit the nail on the head. "Grandparents are a family's greatest treasure, the founders of a loving legacy, the greatest storytellers, the keepers of traditions that linger on in cherished memory. Grandparents are the family's strong foundation. Their very special love sets them apart. Through happiness and sorrow, through their special love and caring, grandparents keep a family close at heart."
The days are precious, so while your Grandparents are still alive, make a way to celebrate. You never know how may more you may have.